A Cyberpunk SciFi/Fantasy novel
From the back coverIn order to implement a radical copyright enforcement scheme, Villain requires one of Robot’s core components, and he’ll stop at nothing to get it; even deactivating Robot and murdering Glitterfairy when she gets in his way. Without affording Death Noodle the opportunity to recover from the loss of his two best friends, Noodle’s UN handlers force him to choose between handing over Robot’s body to be dissected by government scientists or tracking down and defeating Villain all by himself.
With a heroic journey that puts Death Noodle through settings, technologies, emotional and philosophical quandaries reminiscent of The Matrix, Johnny Mnemonic, Inception, The Prestige, Total Recall, The 6th Day, and The Second Untrue Trilogy, Virtual Danger delivers all the fast-paced writing and high-stakes action you’ve come to expect from a book in The Death Noodle Glitterfairy Robot Saga. Will Death Noodle be able to save his friends, protect the Internet, and prevent the collapse of civilization, or is he really ‘just a noodle’, incapable of going solo?
About the Author
Teel is happily married to an English teacher and they live together in Phoenix, AZ with a grumpy old cat, a skittish young cat, and thousands of books, both read and to-be-read. Virtual Danger is Teel’s nineteenth book, and there are plenty more trying to work their way into this world through the aperture of Teel’s imagination, hoping to be found and loved by readers like you. Interestingly, none of the others are books in The Death Noodle Glitterfairy Robot Saga—yet.
Why offer free eBooks & podcasts?
eBookThe eBook edition of Virtual Danger is available under for those who want to extend the DNGR universe, for those who can’t afford to pay, and for those who have never tried one of my books before.
You can get the eBook for FREE, using this pay-what-you-can link:
- Buy directly from the author: Download the eBook
If you can afford to pay $4.99, you have your choice of eBookstores and eReaders, including (but not limited to) the following:
Podcast AudiobookThe Audio version of Virtual Danger was recorded in 2013, and was podcast on the Modern Evil Podcast in 18 parts, one per chapter. Now complete, it has also been added at Podiobooks.com. The following is a list of links to all episodes of Virtual Danger on the Modern Evil Podcast:
- Prologue and Chapter 1: (Prologue) In which Villain interrupts DNGR’s concert to steal a vital component from Robot, killing Glitterfairy and deactivating Robot in the process. (Chapter 1) In which the dust from Villain’s attack settles, Death Noodle begins the grieving process, and Band Manager takes him to Glitterfairy’s funeral.
- Chapter 2: In which Death Noodle attends Glitterfairy’s funeral, then has to deal with a series of interviews -first with the press and then with a young group of DNGR’s biggest fans- wherein he learns more about Villain and his nefarious plot.
- Chapter 3: In which Death Noodle meets with his UN contacts and faces a difficult choice.
- Chapter 4: In which Death Noodle tries to find, on his own, a way to restore Robot to life.
- Chapter 5: In which Death Noodle takes Robot’s inert body to Tinkerer’s shop in the hope that the old man might know a little more than he about repairing Robot.
- Chapter 6: In which Tinkerer and Death Noodle examine Robot’s seemingly-inert body and discover the key to unlocking the challenges they face.
- Chapter 7: In which Tinkerer comes up with a plan for how Death Noodle may be able to restore Robot, which Noodle agrees to despite the considerable risks.
- Chapter 8: In which Death Noodle finds himself within a virtual environment representing Earth’s Internet, and tries to figure out how to track down Villain, who has Robot’s stolen component.
- Chapter 9: In which Death Noodle and a virtual Glitterfairy face off against an army of virtual Minions.
- Chapter 10: In which Death Noodle and the virtual Glitterfairy are saved by a virtual Robot, and Noodle confesses his love for Glitterfairy.
- Chapter 11: In which the virtual Robot contacts Band Manager, hoping he can lead them to more information about how to locate Villain, but ends up in an argument about Copyright enforcement instead.
- Chapter 12: In which Band Manager’s disloyalty delivers a captive DNGR directly to the depths of Villain’s virtual lair.
- Chapter 13: In which DNGR confronts Villain’s virtual avatar in the heart of his virtual lair.
- Chapter 14: In which Death Noodle must confront his own inner demons to reach the copy of Robot within his mind, then finds himself face to face with the loss of his friends once more.
- Chapter 15: In which Death Noodle makes a last, desperate attempt to spend time with Glitterfairy before she ceases to exist, only to find DNGR driven rapidly back into action by forces outside his control.
- Chapter 16: In which Robot struggles with trying to get Death Noodle out of the virtual environment before his own body finishes restoring itself, while Glitterfairy tries to defend Tinkerer’s server from an onslaught of out-of-control virtual Minions threatening them all.
- Chapter 17: In which Death Noodle and an inert Robot are taken to Villain’s real-world lair, where they face a final confrontation with Villain.
- Chapter 18 and Epilogue: (Chapter Eighteen) In which DNGR finishes cleaning up after Villain’s defeat, then return almost immediately to their interrupted tour & waiting fans. (Epilogue) In which the modifications Villain made to Robot’s stolen component lead to the unexpected emergence of a brand new threat.
About DNGR, and the DNGR Universe
DNGR is a fictional band which also goes on adventures, solves mysteries, and saves the world (and the universe) from certain doom—in between touring the world and playing their music to sold-out stadiums full of fans. DNGR is composed of the three titular characters of The Death Noodle Glitterfairy Robot Saga: Death Noodle, whose parents are Death (think Grim Reaper) and a noodle, and who has the powers of both, Glitterfairy, a magical, glittery fairy, and Robot, a robot from another world. Robot is, of course, the band’s drummer.
As of May 2013, there is only one book in The Death Noodle Glitterfairy Robot Saga: Virtual Danger, but for some strange reason it is not the first book of the series, but a middle one. It begins hot on the heels of one concluded adventure, and (as these sorts of series usually do) leads directly into another one; from the look of things, each book’s Epilogue is the next book’s Prologue. Teel McClanahan III is the author of the first DNGR book, but you could be the author of another; an earlier book, a sequel, or even a story from an alternate timeline.
Virtual Danger is being released under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License, which means that you can do what you want with it, with the characters, the setting, the band, all of it, and the only restriction is that you credit Teel McClanahan III as the creator of the original. Copy the book, share it, re-publish it, translate it, give it away, or even sell it. Better yet, you’re encouraged to create derivative works: Write more books in the series, compose “cover” songs of DNGR’s music, figure out what the characters look like and draw or paint them, perform an interpretive dance dressed as a noodle, or anything else you can think of. Publish them, sell them, give them away; as long as you attribute Teel McClanahan III and Virtual Danger, it’s all fair game.
- DNGR GRRL, a song by Simple Studies
- Virtual Danger, Special Zombie Edition, a version of the Virtual Danger eBook I created where every instance of the word ‘Minion’ has been replaced with a form of the word ‘Zombie'; just to please one of my fans. The Special Zombie Edition eBook is available in the following formats:
Okay, so it’s just the one song, and a slight derivative of the original novel, so far… But if you’d like to have your name added to this list, just email email@example.com with a link to whatever DNGR-inspired thing you’ve created. If you’re a musician or author (or book reviewer!) who would prefer a complimentary copy of the Virtual Danger paperback (instead of the free eBook) you should also email me; I’m glad to send the book out into the world to try to expand the DNGR universe and extend The Death Noodle Glitterfairy Robot Saga.
What I’d really love to see (in addition to the music I’ve already begun hearing) is more books in The Death Noodle Glitterfairy Robot Saga. I know a couple of authors who have given this some thought, but here’s the premise: DNGR (the band / team composed of Death Noodle, Glitterfairy, and Robot) goes on Scooby Doo or Jabberjaw (or insert YA adventure book series) type adventures (and misadventures), solving mysteries, saving the planet/universe/day, and touring the world as famous rock stars. Virtual Danger was written to read like an episode of one of those shows, but one in the middle of the run—I intentionally wrote a middle book of a series where no other books had yet been written, and heavily referenced many of their earlier (not yet written) adventures/books, then set the stage for several new ones down the road. Books I have little/no intention of writing.
Books I’d love you to write.
What happened during the Crystal Unicorn ordeal? How did Death Noodle overcome a harem of angry Yeti during the Ice Tzar Caper? Where did the Invading Hordes of Skeletal Skineaters come from? What’s Glitterfairy’s family like? (She has clurichaun cousins; who else is in her family tree?) The enemy in Virtual Danger is “Villain” and there’s mention of “Nemesis”; who else has DNGR faced off against? How the heck did Band Manager ever get to be DNGR’s band manager?
I don’t know; you tell me!
I’ll soon* make high-res (and web-badge-sized) copies of the DNGR logo available, for branding your own DNGR spin-offs, prequels, sequels, and songs. If you can think of anything else I’ve forgotten to mention, just ask.
*If it’s after Summer 2013 and this message is still here, I missed “soon”—bug me about it.