by Teel McClanahan III, Copyright © 2006
A collection of poetry instead of pictures
From the back cover:This book is a reproduction of a poetry journal I kept with me as I traveled. In this case, the travel was a week-long cross-country road trip I took for my 28th birthday, through Utah, Idaho, Oregon, and California. Traveling to beautiful places like Arches National Park, near Moab, Utah, Shoshone Falls, Idaho, and down the Pacific Coast Highway from North of Tilamook, Oregon to south of Santa Barbara, California, I didn’t use a camera to document my journey. Instead, I took a small, red-covered journal with me and every time I wanted to take a picture or otherwise had a strong response to something, instead of taking a snapshot I got out a pen and wrote a poem to try to capture my experience.
The journal was prepared for publication in a unique format, with scans of the journal’s individual pages -to capture the raw, personal nature of handwriting in the moment- facing easy-to-read reproductions in a typewriter-style typeface. Click here to read a PDF preview, featuring 10 selected poems from Worth 1k — Volume 1.
Books in this series:
About the Author and the Worth 1k project
Teel is a lifelong resident of Arizona, and like most lifelong residents of Arizona, he longs to visit faraway places. Places with exotic things like weather, and trees. This book represents the sole record of such an excursion that Teel made during the week of his 28th birthday. Instead of snapping photographs, Teel carried around a notebook and wrote poetry to try to capture a more personal record of what he was experiencing as he drove around the American countryside. This is the first volume of what Teel hopes will be an ongoing project; a revolution of the mind to realize that a few words may be able to capture a place and time and feeling in a way most flat, still images never can.
Why offer free eBooks & podcasts?
eBookThe eBook edition of Worth 1k — Volume 1 is available under for those who can’t afford to pay, or who have never tried one of Modern Evil Press’s books before.
If you can afford to pay $2.99, you have your choice of eBookstores and eReaders, including (but not limited to) the following:
The FREE eBook edition is currently available in the following formats (updated May 2012):
AudiobookThe Audio version of Worth 1k — Volume 1 was recorded a couple poems at a time over multiple years, for the Modern Evil Podcast. The following is a list of links to all 27 episodes containing my readings of the poems from this collection, in the order they were written (and appear in the book):
- MEPod 3 – two poems: Rest area outside Moab, UT & Park Avenue @Arches National Park, UT
- MEPod 5 – two poems: Park Avenue @Arches National Park, UT
- MEPod 7 – three poems: Balanced Rock @Arches National Park, UT
- MEPod 9 – two poems: Windows @Arches National Park, UT
- MEPod 11 – three poems: South Window & Garden of Eden @Arches National Park, UT
- MEPod 13 – two poems: Delicate Arch Trail @Arches National Park, UT
- MEPod 15 – two poems: Delicate Arch @Arches National Park, UT
- MEPod 169 – one poem: Fiery Furnace Overlook @Arches National Park, UT
- MEPod 72 – one poem: Dennys in Moab, UT
- MEPod 171 – two poems: McDonalds near Provo, UT & Quality Inn, Salt Lake City, UT
- MEPod 74 – one poem: Downtown Salt Lake City, UT
- MEPod 173 – two poems: Temple Square, Salt Lake City, UT
- MEPod 175 – two poems: Salt Lake City, UT & on the road near Ogden, UT
- MEPod 177 – two poems: on 84W, in UT & ID
- MEPod 80 – one poem: Shoshone Falls, ID
- MEPod 82 – one poem: Shoshone Falls, ID
- MEPod 179 – two poems: Shoshone Falls, ID
- MEPod 181 – one poem: 84W, OR
- MEPod 183 – two poems: Portland, OR & 6W East of Tillamook, OR
- MEPod 185 – three poems: Lincoln City, OR & Devil’s Punchbowl, OR
- MEPod 187 – one poem: 101S, between Ophir & Brookings, OR
- MEPod 189 – three poems: Crescent City, CA & Redwood State Park, CA & Eureka, CA
- MEPod 191 – three poems: Eureka, CA & Humblodt Redwoods State Park, CA
- MEPod 193 – two poems: Vistic points on 1S (Pacific Coast Highway), CA
- MEPod 195 – three poems: Stump Beach, CA & Stinson Beach, CA
- MEPod 197 – two poems: Pier 39, San Francisco, CA
- MEPod 199 – four poems: Hearst Castle, CA